Since 2013 the government has provided funding to schools to improve pupils’ participation in quality P.E. and sport and to impact on the health and well-being levels of future generations.
The funding is jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. All funding comes directly to schools. Each school has the freedom to spend it in a way that will have the greatest benefit for all its pupils. School Leaders and Governing Bodies are accountable for reporting on how the funning allocation has been spent and the impact on pupils’ health, well-being, and enjoyment as well as increased opportunities.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hiring specialist P.E. teachers or quality sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching P.E.
- Hiring professional development opportunities for teachers in P.E. and sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in P.E. and sport
- Running sports competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in School Games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for P.E. and sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- Pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools
It is our belief at Dimple Well Infant School and Nursery that all our children have the opportunity to live healthy and active lives. We recognise our responsibility to both educate our children on the importance of physical exercise, whilst understanding the wider impact that participation in sport and physical activity can have on mental well-being, as well as the development of resilience, determination, self-belief and teamwork. We base our rationale for the use of Sport’s Premium Funding, both on research and on the needs of the children and families within our school community.
Aims for Sports Premium Grant spend 2021-22
- Ensure all children engage on 30 minutes of physical activity every day, as well as having additional opportunities across the week.
- Promote and educate parents to the additional 30 minutes of physical activity outside of the school day
- Encourage participation and enjoyment in a broad range and variety of P.E. and sport experiences, exposing children to new physical activities, which they may wish to pursue in or out of school.
- Provide opportunities for participation in competitive events, to further develop skills such as confidence, resilience, dedication and self-belief.
- Develop and increase the knowledge and understanding of children, parents and carers in relation to improving healthy eating and life-styles and the benefits of this, so that parents feel empowered to make informed decisions about health and well-being for their families.
- Equip children with strategies, which promote a healthy mind as well as healthy body.
- Provide sporting and physical activity to which focus on fun and enjoyment in order to build children’s confidence and develop a positive relationship with sport and physical activity.
Please refer to the documents below which outline the Intent, Implementation and the Impact of the sports Premium Grant at Dimple Well Infant School and Nursery.